Courage - Common Sense - Country

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Light a candle - don't curse the darkness

If you've followed this blog from time to time, perhaps you too have felt a sense of hopeless frustration with the current state of American political affairs.  Our politics and social discourse have become completely polarized with each side talking past the other.  Behind the scenes however the pattern is the same - our political parties are puppets for their very well heeled financial backers.  While we might argue about social matters, government programs and the like, the essential interests of the ruling financial class are protected by both major parties.  Meanwhile on TV and social media, we're subjected to rancorous political battles that might make Jerry Springer blush.



I think I'm a pretty much average guy, just trying to make a living and look after my family.  Either major party might classify me as a moderate member of the other party.  During the 2016 election, I couldn't stomach nor vote for either of the presidential candidates with a clean conscience.  In the aftermath I decided I had to look around for a new political home.  

I stumbled onto the American Whig Party, now deceased.  I liked the fact that it was founded by veterans; I'd served in the infantry.   I liked the fact that it had a definite, moderate and pragmatic platform but that it was a big tent.  I decided to send them a few bucks.  Big mistake.

Shortly thereafter, the head of the American Whig Party contacted me and issued the call to service.  At the time there was no one in Nevada willing to set up much less run a state affiliate party.  I'm not a rabid political animal and get no joy from party mechanics.  Nonetheless I said I would do it on the understanding that I would just be a caretaker until a more capable and motivated person stepped forward.  I was happy to serve as a corporal but didn't want to be the general.  I've got enough experience with business and community groups to set something up and get it running.  After that I wanted to turn it over to more capable hands.  That was August 2018.  I want to thank Nathan Cunningham and John Barker for being willing to put their names forward and give me a hand during this phase.  Brent Drayton also lent a hand later, for which I'm grateful.   They've had to move on but their support is appreciated.

When the American Whig Party was folded into The Alliance Party I was initially enthusiastic.  That waned a bit when the launch had a couple of false starts.  As 2019 unfolded, the lack of financial backing at the national level also took its toll. 

On a more basic level, the direction of The Alliance Party initially left me a little cold.  I felt the national platform was so broad as to be insipid and less than inspiring.  I love Mom and Apple Pie but I was looking for something a little more solid here in the way of policy & platforms.   I attended the virtual town halls and listened to the "rally the troops" message but I didn't get too fired up.  Despite all this, I decided that I had to keep at this because I felt there was something worthwhile going on here - even if I didn't get it yet.  By this time, the Alliance Party of Nevada was definitely a one man band and I began to joke with the national leadership that I was their lighthouse keeper in Nevada.

 
Now however, I've started to see things in a different light.  The Alliance Party platform is pretty simple with only two really firm guard rails:  term limits and full financial disclosure.  Their guiding vision is the one who, like Washington and Cincinnatus, step forward to serve their fellow citizens.   The very loose position platform makes this a big political tent where people with different views can meet and hammer out a way forward that works best for most of us.  The lack of a hard and fast political platform is a blessing not a curse.  You won't find a smorgasbord of political platform planks nicely tuned to meet your political preferences here.  It will have to be hammered out  among people who don't exactly agree but are dedicated to working together for the common good.   The fact that the Alliance Party is an "anti-party party" really does provide an alternative to America.   The challenge is to build this into a movement where dedication to our country and the welfare of all is the guiding principal and where the platform meets these needs at a local level.   

There really is no other way.   Things change and time doesn't flow backward.  We will not be soon returning to an Era of Good Feelings nor the relatively bucolic politics of the 1950's any time soon.  Social media and changing times are working to make us more fragmented, polarized and insistent on getting our own way.  Our party politics reflect this.  The only way out is to confront set-in-stone positions with compromise guided by principle; and to confront a thirst for power and influence with humble service and a devotion to our country.  The Alliance Party doesn't look like another party because it isn't.  Now I get it. 

So now I'm more determined than ever to follow this through.   You'll see political commentary from a hopefully moderate and practical perspective on our blog and Twitter feed.  You'll get the regular newsletters reminding you what the Alliance Party of Nevada is up to.  We'll support worthwhile non-partisan campaigns to make our democracy better and we'll throw our support behind moderate citizen candidates intent on serving rather than being served.  We don't have to win to do good; it would be enough if some of our more useful and practical positions were adopted by the major parties and enacted.   We'll also give them credit where credit is due when they act to improve things for all Nevadans.   Even if the Alliance Party of Nevada remains a party of one for a while longer.

-- Mike Power           

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bowl of Mush